Monday, November 29, 2010

Isaiah's Home Birth Story part 2

I always knew I was going to have a home birth. I never even thought of a hospital birth until my husband asked me to explain what it was going to be like at home. My mom had all 6 of her children at home, and I remember my little brother being born. I stood at the end of the bed as a 3 year old and watched it all happen. At the end I cut the cord.
One of the midwives she used, Yolanda, helped birth my two older brothers. I made an appointment with her, and loved her from the start.

Around 4 am on July 19, a Sunday morning, I awoke to a dull cramping in my abdomen. I knew right away that they were contractions. I got up and decided to time them for my own comfort and they were about 10 minutes apart. I went back to bed and decided to wait to call my Midwife, Yolanda, in the morning. Around 9am I called her and she said to just go about my day as usual, relax, eat some wholesome meals, and not to worry about timing my contractions. It was Sunday and I was spending the day at my mom’s house with my family. While they were all at church I went on a walk out in her large back yard. It was so peaceful to sit alone for the last time with my baby inside my womb. I was wrapped up in a blanket, sitting on a bench listening to the sounds of the early birds, and watching the sun rise over the trees.
My older brother, Seth, came out to join me for a while and distracted me from the nerves that were just beginning to creep up.
My family came home from church and we prepared lunch. We relaxed around the house and I decided that I was going to head home around dinner time, along with my mom who was going to be present at the birth as well. By the time we were ready to leave the contractions were becoming more distracting. We took a few pictures and left. We stopped at Meijer to pick up a few last minute groceries that I was craving. As I was paying at the checkout I overheard a man in line mention to my mom that I looked like I was due any time. She laughed and replied that I was having contractions and today was the day. He looked pretty surprised.
We arrived to my house around 7 and Dan showed up shortly after. I could tell he was nervous and kept himself distracted by taking pictures. My mom on the other hand, like I said, has been through this with 6 of her kids and has helped out with many other home births. She is pretty much a pro. She stayed calm through it all, and I am so thankful that she was able to be there for me.
We all pulled out the couch bed, which is where I wanted to have our baby. I took a hot shower to help relax a little before attempting to sleep for the night. Afterwards, around 10pm, I called Yolanda to update her that I was about 5 minutes apart. She said to get a good nights rest and call her early in the morning. Dan layed down on the couch, my mom on our long lazy chair and I on the Pull Out.
I went off into a deep sleep…. Yea right! LOL
Dan was out in a minute, like usual. I tried so hard to fall asleep, but I was woken up every 5 minutes. I am a very light sleeper. Between Dan’s snoring, the contractions, and the awkwardness of my big belly on the couch bed…. It just wasn’t working for me. As the night went on and the contractions became stronger i found walking around the house more comfortable. In between I would sit down on the end of the lazy chair and shut my eyes for a little rest. Squatting was what worked best for me, and it gave me a pretty good leg workout for the night. We were all up once the sun came up that beautiful July Monday. Dan made coffee for them and I just sat quietly and kept breathing every 3 to 4 minutes.
Then my water broke. I have to say that is one of the strangest feelings. It surprised me so much, and I quickly announced what had happened. Shortly after that experience my contractions became more intense. So intense that they were overlapping, and I was having 3 or 4 at a time without any breaks. I just kept squatting, and breathing, and walking, and breathing. My mom called Yolanda and told her that my water had broken and that my contractions weren’t letting up. Yolanda said that it was my adrenaline kicking in and that I needed to really work on letting the contractions go at the end. I’m glad she said that, because it really helped, and I was able to really focus and relax. She said she was on her way and that I should try to go the bathroom to leave as much room as possible for the baby. That, I remember clearly, was painful. To me, it seemed more painful then the actual birth.
I was still sitting on the “loo” and Dan and I were hugging. I had a sudden urge to push the baby, and for the first time I got a little panicky. I remember thinking “This is not how I envisioned it. Yes, it is peaceful, but I don’t want to have my baby in the bathroom, and without my midwife!” Thankfully I still had more than an hour to continue pushing.

My mom was still on the phone with Yolanda in the other room. She said I should lay down on the bed on my left side and just go with everything. As I was laying there she finally arrived and sat down next to me and started stroking my leg and asking me how I was doing and feeling. I remember I immediately felt sooo calm and ready to handle birthing my baby.  Yolanda definitely has a way about her.
With Dan on my right and my mom on my left I continued to push. In between my contractions I would shut my eyes, breath and pray. It was definitely hard work, but I knew I could do it. I have never had so much confidence as I did that day. I never once doubted myself. It was so empowering.
After I had pushed his head out I felt and saw him kick inside of me for the last time, it made me laugh, it was such a bittersweet feeling.
Next came the great big push and Dan helped “catch” our baby. He was placed right into my arms and I was the first to hold our child. Those first few moments are so precious and unforgettable to me. I couldn’t believe I was holding my very own gift from God. I held a baby that had been inside me for only 9 months, yet I loved him so much. He was beautiful, perfect in every way. I remember hearing Yolanda say “you have a very healthy baby”, and instantly I felt myself relax and I began to cry. I didn’t realize how much of a burden it had been to me. I prayed constantly for a healthy baby, and a smooth birth and that is what I had! I am so blessed, God has been too good to me!

Finally Yolanda asked “So is it a boy or girl?” We had totally forgotten to check! We uncovered the blanket, and there it was! We named him Isaiah Paul. (Paul is after my Uncle who gave me away at our wedding, he’s a pretty cool guy ;-p) It was exciting not knowing the sex of our baby. Gender neutral baby items aren’t always the most fun, but they will last us through future children as well.

To say the least, it was the most AWE-some day of my life. I wouldn’t change a thing about it, not even the pain and hard work. I know some people who think I was nuts to have my baby at home instead of the hospital but to me it only made sense. He was conceived at home, and will be raised at home, so why not be born into the comfort, sounds and smells of our home. It was so intimate, so personal and such a uniting experience for Dan and I.
Isaiah has brought an abundance of joy to our lives. He has taught us about a love that runs so deep in a parent’s heart. It has brought us to another level of knowledge of what Christ has done for us, and what God gave up for us. I hope and pray that Isaiah will learn this truth at an early age.

For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be.

Before leaving my moms house

With my Mom and Sister, Heather, who was 7 months pregnant as well.

At Home ♥

Talking with Yolanda

Listening to his heart beat

I fell in love all over again...


1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous story, I can't stop reading your blog! Your baby belly is absolutely adorable.